BlackBerry has announced a new Android smartphone, the BlackBerry KeyOne, at MWC 2017. This is the same phone it showcased The smartphone features BlackBerry’s famous QWERTY keyboard, and all of Android’s goodness. The company claims that it is one of the safest Android smartphone ever, thanks to BlackBerry’s own security suite. It’s an otherwise mid-range smartphone with a Snapdragon 625 processor and 3GB RAM. You should note than BlackBerry has stopped manufacturing and designing its smartphones by itself. TCL has been awarded a license to make BlackBerry-branded smartphones. So, the BlackBerry KeyOne has been made by TCL, which also makes Alcatel-branded smartphones.
The BlackBerry KeyOne features a 4.5-inch IPS LCD display with an aspect ratio of 3:2, thanks to the full QWERTY keypad below the display. The screen has a resolution of 1620 x 1080 pixels, and it is scratch resistant. It features a 12-megapixel rear-facing camera with autofocus and LED flash. If you’re wondering, the camera uses the Sony IMX378 sensor, which is the one that’s being used in the Pixel and the Pixel XL. The front-facing camera has a resolution of 8 megapixels, and it is even accompanied by a front-facing LED flash for those glorious selfies in low-light conditions.
BlackBerry KeyOne: Specifications
- Operating System: Android 7.1 Nougat
- Screen: 4.5-inch IPS LCD, 1620 x 1080 pixels (433 ppi), 3:2 aspect ratio, Scratch-Resistant
- Rear-Facing Camera: 12MP Sony IMX 378 Sensor, 1.55µm pixels, autofocus, F2.0 aperture, Dual-Tone LED flash, and 4K video recording
- Front-Facing Camera: 8MP, LED flash, and Wide-Angle Lens
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 Octa-Core 2.0 GHz w/ 64-bit Adreno 506 GPU
- Memory & Storage: 3GB RAM, 32GB Storage, and microSD card slot (up to 2TB)
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, dual-band Wi-Fi ac/a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth, GPS, USB Type-C port, and 3.5mm headphone jack
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Ambient Light, Fingerprint, Gyro, Proximity
- Extras: Full QWERTY Keypad, BlackBerry Hub, DTEK
- Battery: 3,505mAh, Non-Removable, Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
The BlackBerry KeyOne runs Android 7.1 Nougat with BlackBerry’s security and productivity suites. It uses an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor, 3GB RAM, 32GB of internal storage space, and a microSD card slot for storage expansion. Connectivity-wise, the KeyOne features 4G LTE, dual-band gigabit Wi-Fi ac/a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth, GPS, a USB Type-C port, and a headphone jack. It packs in a non-removable 3,505mAh battery which can rapidly charge using Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 3.0 technology.
BlackBerry KeyOne: Images
BlackBerry KeyOne: Pricing & Availability
The BlackBerry KeyOne is priced at $549 in the US, €599 in Europe, and £499 in the UK. The smartphone would be available for purchase globally starting April, but there’s no specific date as of now. BlackBerry’s licensed partner for India, Optiemus Infracom, is expected to bring the BlackBerry KeyOne to the Indian market. You can check the pricing, pre-orders, and availability-related information of the smartphone on BlackBerry’s new website, BlackBerryMobile.com.
BlackBerry KeyOne: Announcement Video